How to Spend 1 Day in Rome
If you have only a day at Rome before or after your cruise, you must plan your time carefully. Yes, it is possible to see Rome in a day.
- Purchase skip-the-line tickets for top attractions.
- Travel between the sights on a hop-on hop-off bus tour.
- Choose tours that combine multiple sights.
Morning: Visit the Vatican. Book an early-access tour of the Vatican Museums. This not only saves time but gives you opportunity to enjoy treasures before the crowds arrive.
- Stop by at masterpieces by artists like Raphael, da Vinci, and Botticelli, then step inside Michelangelo’s Sistine Chapel.
- Head into the grand St. Peter’s Basilica, where you can climb the dome for a stunning view of the city.
Afternoon: Go to The Colosseum with pre-booked skip-the-line tickets to avoid wasting hours waiting outside.
Follow in the footsteps of gladiators and Roman emperors in the mighty amphitheater. Head to the nearby Roman Forum, home to some of the city’s most impressive ancient ruins.
Make a break for some Italian gelato as you stroll into downtown Rome. Stop for the photo by the Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps.
Night: Take an evening cruise along the Tiber river.
Or, take a dinner cruise and tuck into traditional Italian dishes such as lasagna or gnocchi.
Or, continue sightseeing in the evening hours with a moonlit tour of the Colosseum.